How to hide, transfer, replace, or remove a Tile Tracker from your account
Tile trackers are handy little Bluetooth devices that let you find your keys, wallet, or anything else you can attach them to. However, once you’ve linked them to your account, they’re a bit difficult to remove by design. Here’s how to hide a tile from your account, transfer a replacement tile, or remove a tile entirely.
Since a Tile tracker is attached to your phone and can be used to locate important items like your keys, phone, or wallet, the company doesn’t make it easy to remove them. The last thing you want is for a thief to immediately remove your tracker so he can’t find your stuff. If you need to get rid of an old Tile from your account, there are several ways to do it, and they all work a little differently:
- Hide a thumbnail: If you have a tile in your list that has a dead battery or you no longer care to see it, you can temporarily hide it. This will still keep the tile active in your account, but you won’t receive notifications about it and it won’t appear in your list of tiles. You can view a thumbnail in the Settings menu at any time.
- Transfer a mosaic: This option allows you to give your Tile to someone else. You will need to contact Tile customer support to do this.
- Replace a tile: Eventually, your Tile’s non-removable battery will run out. When this happens, you can buy a new tile and replace your old tile with the new one. This step will deactivate your old Tile.
- Delete a thumbnail: If you want to completely remove a Tile from your account, you will need to contact Tile customer service. This is the nuclear option. Once a Tile is deactivated, it cannot be reactivated on any account, for security reasons. If you want to give your Tile away or just hide it away for a while, use one of the other options.
You usually won’t want to remove a tile, but we’ll cover how to use each option.
Hide a thumbnail from your list
To temporarily hide a Tile from your account, open the Tile app.
Slide the tile you want to hide from right to left to display a menu. Press the red Hide button.
Now in your list of tiles, you won’t see the one you just hid. You also won’t be able to use it to locate your phone and you won’t be able to remotely ring from your phone.
If you ever need to show your Tile, tap the Settings icon on the app’s main screen.
Scroll down and tap Manage Hidden Tiles.
Here you will see a list of all the thumbnails you have hidden. Tap Show next to the one you want to add to your thumbnail list.
You can hide or show a thumbnail as many times as you like.
Transfer a thumbnail to a friend
If you want to give your Tile to someone else, you’ll need to contact Tile support. However, before you do that, you’ll need some background.
- Your e-mail.
- The email address of the person you want to transfer your Tile to.
- The tile ID of the tile you are transferring.
You’ll already have the first part, of course. Make sure your friend has downloaded the Tile app for Android Where ios and ask them for the email address they used to sign up. The last part is a bit more complicated. To find your Tile ID, open the Tile app and drag the Tile you want to transfer to the left. Tap Edit.
Towards the bottom of the screen, you’ll see an alphanumeric string next to the Tile Identifier (in the blurred area in the photo below). Write this string.
Once you have this information, email Tile Support at [email protected] from the email address associated with your account. They will help you with the transfer process from there.
Replace an old tile with a new one
Tile guarantees that all of its products will last at least a year, but they can (and probably will) last longer depending on battery life. After you’ve owned a tile for eleven months, you can opt into Tile’s ReTile Program to get a replacement for less than the normal retail price. Once you have your replacement, open the app. Swipe left on the tile you want to replace and tap Edit.
At the bottom of the screen, tap “Replace this tile.”
On the next two screens, select the type of tile you are replacing your old device with.
Then click on the Tile logo in the center of your new device and place it next to your phone. The new Tile will play a little clink and automatically pair with your phone.
Once the pairing is complete, you will see a blue screen that says “Tile Enabled. “
Your new thumbnail will keep the same name and image (if you uploaded one) as the previous thumbnail. You will not have to update the settings. The old tile will be unusable after that, but if you replace it, it was probably already dead or broken.
Remove a thumbnail from your account
Normally, the above options should be enough for whatever problem you’re having. Even if you’re done with a Tile for good, hiding it will have the same effect as removing it from a practical standpoint. However, if you want to get rid of a Tile and you’re absolutely certain that no one else will be able to use it again, you’ll need to contact Tile support. There are several ways to do this.
- Chat support: To chat with Tile online, open any page in the Tile Online Help Center, hover over the blue How can we help you? at the bottom of the screen and click Live Support. This will allow you to start a conversation with a Tile representative. Note: This option is only available from 8:30 am to 5:30 pm Pacific.
- Email support: If you prefer to talk via email (or if you can’t reach Tile during the day), you can submit a support request using this form.
Again, removing your Tile is a hassle, so you probably won’t want to do this unless you absolutely have to disable a Tile entirely. Once you delete your Tile, it will be completely unusable. You will never be able to activate it again and no one else will be able to use it on your account.