How to identify a specific color in an application or website
Imagine scrolling through the images and finding the perfect color, the exact shade you need for your next design project. There are some amazing tools on the internet to help you identify specific colors in any application or website. Let’s take a look at some of the best options.
1. Using developer tools in the Chrome web browser
One option you can try is the Chrome Developer Tool. Chrome comes with many useful features for developers that make things a lot easier. You can use the following steps to identify specific colors in any application or website.
- Open the website where you want to identify a color in the Chrome web browser
- Click on the three-dot icon at the top right of Chrome. A pop-up window will appear with a bunch of options.
- Click on “More Tools”, then select “Developer Tools” from the resulting pop-up window.
- Use Ctrl + Shift + I if you want to skip the above steps
- Now the window is divided into two screens: the website on the left and the website code on the right.
- Type Ctrl + Shift + C on your keyboard. This shows you all the details of a particular element on the website as we hover the mouse cursor over the elements.
- You can find the color code of the item, as well as other useful information.
Suppose you are interested in the specific color codes for some items on the following website:
You can choose the developer tools by clicking on the three dots in the corner of your screen. From the drop-down menu, select More Tools and then Developer Tools.
The screen will be visually divided into two pages. You will see the website on the left and the site code on the right.
Type the command and shortcut “Ctrl + Shift + C” and place the mouse cursor over the elements of the website. This will show the color of that item, as well as other useful information. Here are two examples where we find the color of the navigation bar and a dashboard below the search tool.
Here we can find the color code in the pop-up window of the navigation bar. The color code is # 333333.
The color of the board can be found along with other useful details. Color: # 333333, Background Color: # 5D4A8E. While it may seem a bit intimidating at first, the program becomes much easier to use with a little practice.
2. Chrome dropper extension
Eye Dropper is a popular and widely used Chrome extension to help you find certain colors on any website or app.
Follow the steps below to identify specific colors on a website or application using the Eye Dropper extension tool.
- Open any website or app in Chrome web browser
- Click on the Eye Dropper extension icon
- Select “Choose web page color” and hover your mouse over different elements of the application or website.
You can find the color-coded items listed at the bottom right of the web page.
Okay, let’s use the eyedropper extension tool in a real example. We’ll start by opening a website and clicking the Eye Dropper extension icon.
As you hover over various elements on the website, you may see the color codes appear in a section at the bottom right of the screen.
When I hover over the V-shaped icon, I can see its color code in the bottom window as mentioned. The advantage of this tool is that it can also find the RGB code and hexadecimal color code of the item. The method is flexible for those who want a quick and easy way to enter codes for their favorite colors.