How to organize Spotify podcasts into playlists
Recently, Spotify allowed users to combine music and podcasts in the same playlist. This means that you can now create your own podcast block! Just add a podcast track, a few songs in between to cleanse the palate, and pair the songs with another podcast episode. This format is really useful for creating road trip soundtracks, having something to listen to while tackling projects around the house, or just for a nice solo listening session.
If you’re already a part of the podcast craze, you probably have a ton saved on your Spotify waiting to be properly placed on a playlist. For your sake and your sanity, let’s learn how to organize your Spotify podcasts into playlists.
Create podcast playlists
As of now, you can only create podcast playlists from your mobile device. You also can’t add entire podcasts to a playlist, only individual episodes. If you want to listen to the full podcast, go to My Library> Podcasts.
- First, “follow” the podcast you want to include in your playlist.
- Go to My Library> Podcasts.
- Touch the podcast you need to access.
- Next to the podcast episode you want to add, there will be three dots. Touch the dots to display the menu options.
- Scroll through the menu until you see the “Add to Playlist” option.
- If you already have a playlist you want to add the track to, tap on the name.
- You can also create a new playlist with the track. Tap the green button that says “Create Playlist.”
- After creating your playlist, give it a name and hit “create”.
Once you’ve added your podcast content to your desired playlist, you can go ahead and rearrange the tracks as needed.
Rearrange podcast tracks in the playlist
Unlike the desktop app, rearranging the tracks on your mobile device requires a few extra steps.
Spotify app for iOS
- Open the playlist you need to rearrange.
- From the top of the screen, drag the playlist window to access the search bar.
- Tap “Filters” next to the search bar and select “Custom Sort.”
- You will return to the playlist screen.
- In the upper right corner of the screen, tap on the three dots and select “Edit”.
- Drag and drop tracks in any order you want!
- Make sure to hit “Done” when you’re done.
* Remember that every new song you add will be automatically added to the top of the playlist.
Spotify app for Android
It took a while, but Spotify finally allowed Android users to renew their songs two years ago.
- Select the playlist you want to edit.
- Touch the three dots in the right corner of the screen and select “Edit Playlist”.
- Now you can drag and drop songs where you need them.
- Click the “Save” button in the top corner when you are done.
Deleting podcast episodes from playlists
Did you add the wrong podcast episode to your playlist? No problem! Part of the organization is getting rid of things that don’t belong.
- Go to the desired playlist and scroll down until you find the episode you want to delete.
- Click on the dots next to the episode.
- The menu options will appear. Scroll down until you see “Remove from this playlist.”
- Touch this option to delete.
Note on transferring podcast episodes from existing playlists
Moving podcast episodes from one playlist to another does not remove them from your current playlist. You must first add the episode to the new playlist and then remove the track from the current one. It may seem tedious, but it is certainly possible to do it.
We all start out with high expectations for playlist perfection when we log into Spotify, but sometimes our playlists just go down the drain. However, with the ability to add podcasts now, perhaps we should think of organizing our playlists as a self-care routine rather than a chore. Podcasts have provided comfort, entertainment, and education for many people. Why should we keep our favorite podcasts hidden in a virtual clutter list?
Have fun customizing your podcast blocks!